Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday, 11am-5pm
Find us on:
Observatory Hill (The Rocks)
(02) 9258 0173
THE PORTIA GEACH MEMORIAL AWARD 2019
Presented to Australian female artists ‘for the best portrait painted from life of some man or woman distinguished in the art, letters or the sciences”
ENTRIES CLOSE MIDNIGHT, FRIDAY 28 JUNE 2019
Trustee: Perpetual Trustee Company Ltd
THE PORTIA GEACH MEMORIAL AWARD
The Portia Geach Memorial Award was established by the will of the late Florence Kate Geach in memory of her sister, artist Portia Geach.
It is awarded by the Trustee for the entry which is of the highest artistic merit, ‘… for the best portrait painted from life of some man or woman distinguished in art, letters or the sciences by any female artist resident in Australia during the twelve months preceding the closing date for entries’.
Zoe Young – Drawing Storyboards
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Award Administrator: S.H. Ervin Gallery
T: 02 9258 0140
Follow us on Facebook
or Instagram @shervingallery
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Perpetual Trustee Company Ltd ABN 42 000 001 007 is the Trustee of the Fund. The Trustee is guided in making the Award by the decision of a majority of judges as appointed by the Trustee. The prize is directed to be awarded to the person who is judged to have the highest artistic merit.
Each applicant must fulfil the following conditions and requirements.
1. An applicant must be a female artist who is an Australian citizen or British born and have been resident in Australia during the preceding twelve months.
2. An applicant’s painting must:
a. Be an original work and must not infringe copyright;
b. Be executed entirely during the year commencing 1 September 2018;
c. Be completed by the date of submission;
d. Be a portrait, painted from life, of some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters or the Sciences. (Please note that self-portraits are accepted for this award);
e. Be two-dimensional and must use the medium of paint.
3. If any doubt should arise as to the eligibility of any entry under Rules 1 or 2, the Trustee may seek the guidance and advice of the Director of the Art Gallery of NSW, or the Dean of the appropriate faculty of the University of Sydney. Any decision on eligibility approved by the Trustee shall be final and binding.
4. The maximum size of paintings that will be accepted is 210cm high by 300cm wide.
5. Sculpture, photographic and video works are not eligible.
6. The sitter of the portrait must be known to the artist and aware of the artist’s intention and have had at least one ‘sitting’ with the artist for the portrait. From the sitting, the artist is allowed to take photographs of their subject which they can refer to in the completion of their works.
2. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Each applicant must complete the following requirements in order to be eligible for this award. Physical paintings are not required for the initial judging. The initial selection is to be completed from digital images submitted via the online form. Only works selected for the exhibition will need to be sent.
1. The applicant must submit a JPEG image file of their artwork via the online application: https://www.shervingallery.com.au/portia-geach-memorial-award-2019/
2. The applicant must submit an online application form, and confirm their acceptance of the Terms and Conditions via the online system. The application process closes at Midnight EST on 28 June 2019
3. The applicant must submit an artistic statement and a copy of their one page (A4) CV/ biography via the online system with the application form. Files must be PDF files or Microsoft Word documents. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all files are readable on PC. Mac files are not acceptable. The artistic statement should be no more than 200 words in total.
4. The applicant must submit a signed statement from their subject agreeing to the portrait being entered in the award and consenting for the Gallery to use the image for publicity (non-commercial) in perpetuity. The sitters statement must be attached to the online entry form
5. The applicant must forward a n administration fee of $50.00 for each entry via the online payment portal. Entries are not valid without an entry fee. There are no refunds under any circumstances. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Ensure your name and artwork details are clear on the online payment.
6. There is no limit to the number of entries an artist may submit, but each entry must have a separate application and online payment.
7. Receipt of payment will be issued by email.
8. Late applications will not be accepted.
9. No correspondence will be entered into with applicants after submissions have been made.
10. Dates listed under ‘Key Dates’ must be strictly adhered to by the applicant. There are no exceptions to this rule.
11. All successful and unsuccessful applicants will be contacted by email.
1. Only selected paintings will be chosen by the judges for hanging at the Portia Geach Memorial Award exhibition. All applicants who will have their work exhibited will be contacted by email to inform them of the selection and the next steps including transportation and timing information
2. The Trustee reserves the right to publicly exhibit a selection of entries, including the winning entry, for a period following the announcement of the award.
3. The Trustee reserves the right to exhibit some of the works as part of a sponsorship proposal and should this occur, applicants will be advised accordingly.
4. Finalists will be exhibited at S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney from 2 August – 15 September 2019.
5. The Trustee reserves the right to tour the exhibition works. Applicants will be advised by email, as soon as applicable, if their entry will be toured.
6. By entering this award, you the artist acknowledge and agree that whilst the Trustee and S.H. Ervin Gallery will exercise all reasonable care with the artworks submitted, they will not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever or howsoever caused to any entry in their possession and custody. All care but no responsibility is taken for work/s submitted wet.
7. A 33 ⅓% commission will be charged on all works sold during the exhibition.
8. A GST liability may exist between the artist and the Gallery for the commission due. The Gallery needs to know the GST status of the artist before the work will be accepted. The Gallery will account to the artist for the sale net of commission and GST, where applicable. It is the artist’s responsibility to account to the ATO for GST on the sale and to the exhibiting Gallery for GST on the commission, if GST applies.
9. The Gallery will not be responsible for loss of or damage to any entry while in its custody. Each artist is responsible for maintaining their own insurance cover and their insurance arrangements with the carrier.
10. The Gallery reserves the right to not display any entry to the award.
4. JUDGES AND JUDGING PROCESS
1. The prize shall be awarded to the entry which, on the recommendation of the majority of judges, is considered to have the highest artistic merit.
2. If the majority of judges consider that there is no entry of sufficiently high merit to warrant the award, no prize will be awarded.
3. The majority decision of the judges, and of the Trustee on the interpretation of all award rules and conditions, shall be final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to the judges’ decision.
4. The judges’ names are not disclosed until after the judging process.
5. If at any time after the award has been granted to any entry, a majority of judges determine that the entry did not comply with the conditions of entry or eligibility, the award may be withdrawn from that entry and the artist must immediately repay the prize money to the Trustee. In the event that an award is withdrawn from an entry pursuant to this condition, the other entries which were submitted in the same year may be reconsidered for the award; otherwise no award will be conferred in respect of that year.
6. Whilst it is expected that these conditions will be strictly observed, the Trustee reserves the right to waive compliance with or alter any conditions.
7. The prize money is $30,000 and no further funds will be distributed. The award recipient should obtain their own professional advice in respect of any taxation implications.
5. PUBLICITY AND PROMOTION
By entering this award, you the artist grant the Trustee and its agent, a licence to reproduce any material or entry/ies by electronic or print media or on television leading up to, or for the duration of the exhibition, and thereafter, to further advertise and in other ways publicise the Portia Geach Memorial Award, and any other arts scholarships/awards in its portfolio. Artworks may also be exhibited at sponsors’ premises, if any, for a limited time.
1 April 2019
28 June 2019
Entries close at Midnight EST.
Digital images of artworks, completed application forms and all relevant attachments must be received by / on this date.
Pre-selection of works by judges via submitted materials. Applicants will be advised via email if artworks are selected for the finalist exhibition.
24-26 July 2019
Selected paintings must be delivered to nominated warehouse pre-exhibition (details will be forwarded to the relevant applicants).
Official opening and announcement of winner at S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney. Invitation only event.
Exhibition opens to the public.
15 September 2019
Exhibition closes to the public.
18-20 September 2019
Exhibition works to be collected from nominated warehouse.